Saturday, April 12, 2008

Our Words Do Hurt

I am sure many people are following this year's presidential election campaign very closely. As a political junkie who loves to keep up on current events, I am watching the daily news reports from the Internet, the blogs and of course TV news and talk radio. I was very surprised and quite disappointed and upset at the words used by Senator Barack Obama when at a private fund raiser in San Francisco, he made the following statement about blue collar people from mid western states like mine who are not supporting him and are voicing concerns and complaints on the campaign trail. He said, "It's not surprising, then, they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations." As expected these words were splashed all over the Internet and news and media outlets and now Barack Obama is scrambling to do what is called in politics "damage control" and trying to change the situation. He did tell a local newspaper in North Carolina, "If I worded things in a way that made people offended, I deeply regret that," Obama said this in an interview with the Winston-Salem (N.C.) Journal. While I can appreciate his apology, his words have already had a terribly negative affect on his campaign for president. As a church going Christian and a minister, I find what he said offensive and very out of touch with the majority of America. The more I hear Senator Obama speak the less I like about him. I don't care if you are a Democrat or Republican, when someone makes these kinds of statements about hard working, decent citizens who are just voicing their opinions and concerns, some thing's wrong. Jesus told us in Luke 6:46-"For out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks." Jesus was trying to convey to us that if we really want to know what's inside a person's heart, just listen to what comes out of their mouth. Maybe Senator Obama should be swift to hear and slow to speak, he might just find out what the American public opinion and position on issues are. Remember the words of former President Calvin Coolidge, "I have found that nothing I never said, has ever gotten me into trouble."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the TV de LCD, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://tv-lcd.blogspot.com. A hug.