Monday, June 8, 2009

Come Unto Me

"Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you, and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart; and you shall find rest for your souls.” Matthew 11:28-29

This past Friday and part of the weekend I was busy moving items for a church auction we are having next month. I, and a few volunteers, moved several loads of heavy, and I mean heavy items for the auction. I found myself overextended and exhausted while coming home. It has been difficult at times to recuperate when I have worked so many hours. I need to catch up from the weekend's demands and deal with today’s demands while being wiped out from the lingering effect of the weekend. I was telling the Lord that I want to continue in serving Him but I find myself being short tempered instead. Immediately these words from a quote I heard started ringing in my ears, “When your output exceeds your intake, your upkeep is your downfall.” Suddenly I realized that I wasn’t putting back in to my body and soul all that was poured out. It is just as much a place of obedience to find rest and refreshment as it is to serve. The problem comes when I start thinking that I am being obedient to the Lord in serving while I am being short tempered with His people that He has asked me to serve. At that point, it is better to receive from the Lord in resting, despite the amount of time it takes, so I can represent Him to others while enjoying what He has called me to do. Today, you might find yourself spiritually, mentally and/or physically exhausted. God doesn’t want any more from you. Now He only wants you…He wants you to rest and find peace. Come to Him in prayer, be honest, cry if you have to, and open His Word and drink of that living water until you are strengthened. He loves you, He is proud of you and He wants you to enjoy Him. When you are refreshed, you will then represent Him as kind, loving and patient. You cannot give away something that you do not have. And you cannot represent who He is if you are not resting with Him.

No comments: