Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Taking Time To Rest

Today, while surfing the Internet and catching up on the daily events in the world, I noticed that Starbucks Coffee was going to close down 7,100 of their coffee shops nationwide for three hours to re-train their employees on the basics of brewing and preparing their beverages. I was surprised to read this, because it's out of the ordinary for a major corporation like Starbucks to stop everything and take a break from selling coffee. However I was reminded of the fact that we all need to stop and take time to rest and refresh ourselves. In the Bible we read a wonderful story which illustrates the importance of rest. It is the account where Jesus meets His disciples after sending them out to minister in Mark 6:30-32 and the scripture says, "The apostles gathered around Jesus and reported to him all they had done and taught. 31Then, because so many people were coming and going that they did not even have a chance to eat, he said to them, "Come with me by yourselves to a quiet place and get some rest." 32So they went away by themselves in a boat to a solitary place." The Lord understood the importance of rest and taking time for ourselves. He rested, His disciples were encouraged to rest and we should do the same. Rest is good for our body, mind, soul, and spirit. On my day off each week, I just enjoy resting and reading a good book and relaxing with a cup of coffee or hot tea. I am able to rest my body, and relax my mind and this is something I look forward to doing each week. Take time this week or over the weekend to rest and relax. You will be blessed and it's good for you. God bless.

No comments: