Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Jesus Is Always Working

"The man went away, and told the Jews that it was Jesus who had made him well. For this reason, the Jews were persecuting Jesus, because He was doing these things on the Sabbath. But He answered them, “My Father is working until now, and I Myself am working.” John 5:15-17

Jesus does not ever stopping working with you or on you. At the time of Christ, the religious men were angry with Jesus for making a sick man well. They exclaimed that Jesus had no right to do such a thing, including any kind of good, on a holy day. To us, a statement like that doesn’t make sense. God is good and He can choose to be good on whoever and whenever He wants. (And I hope it’s on me next!) Jesus showed us a part of God’s character that the Jewish religious men did not represent in their self-righteousness. Jesus is “God with us.” Through His Holy Spirit, Jesus is now “God in us.” So God is continually working on us, despite the day or circumstance at hand. God’s desire for us is that we will be made whole and healthy. Jesus came to break the bonds of slavery of sin and habits that keep us captive. Behaviors that don’t bring glory to God but keep us focused on ourselves, Jesus is continually working on and in us. And He is never in a rush. God is too gracious and merciful to bombard us with attempts to change all the areas we fall short in all at once. Trust Him for your shortcomings. I know that I am my own worse critic and others are quick to agree if I offer the conviction, but God isn’t like that. I have learned that some of those short comings I am so concerned about changing in me, God is not worried about or surprised or in a rush to fix. Be honest, be open and be willing. The Lord will be faithful to complete the work He began…because Jesus is always working.

No comments: