Saturday, May 31, 2008

News Worth Hearing

“So be strong and courageous, all you who put your hope in the Lord!” Psalm 31:24

I don’t know about you but I enjoy watching and reading the news. Especially when news stories are news-worthy, accurate, and without an agenda. Every day this seems like a lost art. Now, it seems, news is written with an agenda. An agenda to cause fear, to cause doubt, and to dishearten us all. We are told to worry about this or to be concerned about that but little is actually really reported. This is the day that we live in. Days of uncertainty, despair, and often fear. Fear that is generated and created to move our hearts away from hope, away from faith. Yet, in times of such bad news don’t we need hope and faith even more?In times such as these my heart moves towards and longs for the hope found in Christ. My heart longs for the ‘Good News’ of Jesus Christ. In the pages of the Bible I read the news reports of the Gospels, the accounts of Paul, and the sweet writings of John. I’m encouraged through the Prophets and the psalmist who pen stories of hope and encouragement. I learn through them both sides of the story. The mistakes of mankind and the restoration love of Christ who came to save us, restore us, and daily walk with us. As I turn the pages I’m reminded that I’m never really alone, that Christ is only a prayer away, a thought away, a continual wellspring of hope that rises in my heart and displays the silver lining found in every day life.In this I’m encouraged, in this my hope is strengthened and restored. I read or listen to the Bible now more than ever because in its very pages I find more truth than any news program that’s on display or agenda that’s spouted forth.True, I miss out on everything that is happening in the world. I miss out on all the sadness, all the crime, and all the misery but sometimes I just need a break. There’s only so much that any of us can take and I would much rather take shelter in the Rock of my Salvation, and find there words of encouragement and hope and peace in days needing peace and hope and love.

No comments: